Wednesday, January 4, 2012

Red Shoes - why are they so loved ?

Red Shoes - I love them with wild abandon, for some reason I am drawn to them - why ?



"When I am an old woman I shall wear red
With a purple hat which doesn't go and doesn't suit me.
And I shall spend my pension on brandy and summer gloves
And satin sandals, and say we've no money for butter.
I shall sit down on the pavement when I'm tired
And gobble up samples in shops and press alarm bells
And run my stick along the public railings
And make up for the sobriety of my youth.
I shall go out in my slippers in the rain
And pick the flowers in other people's gardens . .
But maybe I ought to practice a little now?
So people who know me are not too shocked and surprised
When suddenly I am old, and start to wear red"

We are talking about a state of mind, about the way you feel, or the person you want to be, when we ask the question, why do women love shoes? In particular, why such a passion for Red Shoes ? Scientists have finally made a breakthrough, tackling this important issue thats close to the hearts of many people:        
Why do women wear red shoes?
Dr Elaine Webster, a Sociologist from Otago University, New Zealand has spent six months asking why women wear red shoes. And, she has concluded that young women wear them for excitement, and out of a desire to be noticed; whilst most men associate red shoes with sex and sin.  Dr Webster, whose long term interest is “dress and identity” conducted the research after being impressed with the way that women spoke about their red shoes. She said:
" Women, and some men wear red shoes because they’re really wanting a richer and more exciting life than the one they are living. " Many of the women interviewed made a connection between their red shoes and Red Shoes, the film of Hans Christian Andersen’s fairytale, or Dorothy from The Wizard of Oz.
Dr Webster believes footwear, more than any other items of clothing, has a special quality in our lives. And red shoes are a way to lift you out of a drab and ordinary existence.


We have many women come into our little shoe shop that have never owned a pair of red shoes. You can see them processing whether or not they should buy them, what would people think, what could they wear them with, and if they could really carry them off ? Once you jump into your first pair, there is no turning back, you will end up with a collection in many fabulous shades, and you will think - why didnt I do this sooner?

There are many red shoe quotes around, and popular belief is that you can never have a bad day if you are wearing a pair of red shoes, most women would agree, wearing red shoes is not for shrinking violets. They are for women who refuse to surrender to a crappy mood, who dont take themselves too seriously, who want a party on their feet, and be the one enjoying that party. Women who beleive it is their right to have fun and not let anyone get them down - try a pair of red shoes - seriously - they do change the way you feel - in a positive way.

Some inspiration to go out and get into a pair of Red Shoes :


When in doubt, wear red. Red is the ultimate cure for sadness.” –Bill Blass


If you’re not a wearer of red shoes, do you have another article of footwear or clothing that wakes you up and makes your heart sing? – Cindy La Ferle

 "If one says 'Red' – the name of color – and there are fifty people listening, it can be expected that there will be fifty reds in their minds. And one can be sure that all these reds will be very different." -- Josef Albers

"My red shoes make me feel great, I looooove my red shoes", is what you here women say. You almost never would hear, " I love my brown shoes. "



Tips for making the most of your New Red Shoes :
  • Remember our cost per wear rule  http://shoesonscarborough.blogspot.com/2011/07/cost-per-wear-rule_28.html - wear the shoes, dont make excuses, just get out there with them on your feet !
  • Be friends with your Red Shoes - BFF's forever.
  • Wear grey or black if your taking them to the office. And no, you wont look like the office tart, Red shoes look extremely professional. 
  • Less is more, make the shoes the colourful part of your outfit, especially the first few times you go out into the world with your new bestie.   
  • Over time you will find that red goes with almost everything. Just add some red lipstick, maybe a red handbag or a braclet or earings to bring the outfit all together. Jeans in all shades, white pants skirts and so on all work.
  • With Red you can achieve many of different looks, from summer frilly flowers to Burlesque babe. And everything in between, enjoy yourself, be creative and most importantly, an ensemble worn proudly, with confidence canalways be pulled off. So get out there proudly with your new best friend and work it. Enjoy life, be free and love yourself.















So whats on your mind when someone says Red Shoes ?

5 comments:

  1. Well, as a fellow red shoe enthusiast, I thank you for re-confirming my conviction - love to read the blog - thanks

    ReplyDelete
  2. I received red shoes for my birthday- thank you very much!! I love them & gets heaps of compliments. Love the RED and great blog yes everyone should wear red xo

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thankyou for your responses. What a lovely present to receive. Keep on enjoying all your shoes and especially the red one - xx hehe

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am the biggest lover of red shoes ever. In fact, all my gorgeous red babies are from your shop. Great shop and post. Rachel xx

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for the great feedback Rachel. Yes we do love red at Shoes on Scarborough.

    ReplyDelete

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...